Thursday, June 24, 2010

week 4


Did you send a postcard last week? We head out of town tomorrow and I'll be sending my postcards over the weekend.

This week, we're going to go REALLY old fashioned and write a letter to an older person. And by older, I mean elderly. Kids and old people LOVE letters.

Several years ago, when I was home with a houseful of tiny kids and changing more diapers a day than I care to even remember, one of my aunts used to send me letters telling me what a good mom I am, how cute my kids are, how hard it is when they're so little. All the things I needed to hear. It was a huge ray of sunshine for me. I still have all of them.

Now, that aunt is quite elderly. She lives with one of her daughters and needs help to do most things. She probably doesn't write letters anymore, but I like to return the great favor she did for me by sending her letters. They don't say anything earth-shattering. I just tell her about my day and what the kids are doing. I try to make her laugh. I don't hear back from her, but I KNOW how much a little letter can keep a person going. Because she did it for me.

So write to your grandmother or grandfather. Or an aunt or uncle. Or some other elderly person who would be thrilled to get a real, live letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment