Monday, June 7, 2010

Week 2


How'd we all do with Week 1?

If you didn't get your letter written, don't worry! Just move on to this week.

My apologies for not responding to comments up to now. I thought I had things set up to get an email when I got a comment, but I didn't. After this, I will either respond by email or in another comment on the same post - depending on if it's relevant to everyone or not.

It's the last week of school here. I am scrambling trying to think of teacher gifts. My favorite little Etsy shop for personalized stationery went out of business.

I keep reading that two of the best teacher gifts are gift cards (I think I'm going to do Amazon) and letters thanking them for their dedication.

So this week, I'm going to write to my 4-year old's preschool teacher. She had a fabulous year, and will have the same teacher again for kindergarten. She is everything you hope that first teacher will be. If I could bottle her up and take her all the way through 12th grade, I would. So I'm going to write her and tell her that.

I'm also going to have my 9-year old daughter write to her teacher. This is the very first school year she's had where she and her teacher still like each other at the end of the year. I'd bottle her up if I could too.

So write to a teacher this week. Your kid's teacher. One of your old teachers. A friend who is a teacher. Who are you going to pick?

3 comments:

  1. My dh's entire family are teachers, which cracks me up, seeing as how we are homeschoolers. Anyway, I know what happens to the non-consumable elementary school teacher's gifts....they go to the DIL. Gift cards are excellent, but if it is for an older teacher, they are less likely to utilize something like an Amazon card. I know that my MIL has never shopped on the internet in her life; good god, she still has an AOL email address, the first one she had TEN years ago. TEN.

    BUT, I do know that they really enjoy the personal gifts/cards/notes. So for the teacher of the 4-yo, maybe you could interview her (yr daughter, not the teacher). Like, "What do you love best about Ms. X?" "What do you think Ms. X does when she is not teaching?" That sort of thing. I promise, the wackier questions you can think of will have the most hilarious results and the teacher will LOVE the result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post motivated me. I wrote letters to my daughters' teachers, and she wrote a "book" to her primary teacher. And I wrote a letter to our bus driver, telling her that her arrival is the ONLY part of my morning that is guaranteed to go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome one. I did write letters to my kids teachers a few weeks ago, (last week of school) telling them how important I think the work they do is, and thanking them for teaching and caring for my boys. They were very well recieved.

    ReplyDelete